Fresh Sweet Corn, Cherry Tomato and Avocado Salad
For the salad:
- 1 cup of rucola (AKA arugula/rocket/jarjeer)
- 2 cups mixed leaves or greens of choice
- Raw sweet corn kernels from one ear of corn
- 1/2 cup cherry or baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
For the red onion balsamic dressing
- 1/2 a small red onion, finely grated
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice.
- 1 tsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)*
- Dash of sea salt and pepper to taste
* Any liquid sweetener would work, but agave is best as it has a clean sweet flavour as opposed to molasses which may have more of a distinctive caramel taste.
Don’t skip out on grating the onion here, it turns it to this wonderful, almost chutney-like consistency. Whisk together other ingredients and try not to drink the whole thing when you taste-test. Drizzle over salad just before serving.